In Another Life, I Was A Platypus - http://munchymunchymoocow.blogspot.com
BLOG | ABOUT | GALLERY | SOUNDTRACK | FEED | GUESTBOOK

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Old People.

Old people (by which I mean the people of the ages between the late thirties and the early fifties) can be very rude - specifically the commuters on the 4.35pm Homebush Bay ferry from Circular Quay. I noticed it today when I was getting on the ferry on my way home. A single gangway sits between the wharf and the HarbourCat, just wide enough for one person abreast and all of a sudden these middle-aged types just push on in front of me, even nudging the older elderly folks out of the way. And they have the gall to bite my head off when they smack into me.

It seems to me that society expects a high level of manners from us young'uns but assumes we have none. But on the otherhand, it's apparently okay for these adults to be rude and inconsiderate. The attitude that comes across - to me, at least - is that they feel owed. Kids owe them for being had and raised. Pensioners/those on welfare/public servants owe them because one's taxes pay the other's pensions/benefits/salaries. The government owes them because they pay their taxes. Society at large owes them because they have to put up with everyone else.

Jeez people, pull your fingers out.

NB: Not an aspersion on all people in this age group



Listening to:
Title: Fields Of Gold
Artist: Eva Cassidy
Album/station: Live At Blues Alley (1998)
Length: 4.59